Our son Logan was born prematurely (26 weeks) on August 16, 2012. He weighed in at 2lbs 2oz and was only 14 inches long.  He was the smallest miracle we had ever seen with our own eyes. His home for the first 67 days of his life was the NICU. Our little boy had his ups and downs over that time spent in the hospital-fighting each day to grow and strive and meet the milestone moments he needed to surpass.  As we hovered by his side, we dealt with the wide range of emotions between happiness and fear.  We leaned on our family and friends (and nursing staff) when support was needed and we stood strong in our desire to learn all we could about every detail of our son’s care.

About a month after Logan came home we heard the word Craniosynostosis for the first time.  During one of his exams, his doctor expressed concern that it appeared some of Logan’s head sutures might have closed prematurely.  We thought the shape of his head was due to him laying on one side while in the NICU for so long. The doctor ordered a CT scan to confirm his thoughts.  While we waited for the scan to be scheduled and done we went into research mode.  We read all we could on Craniosynostosis to prepare ourselves for what might come next for our son.

Several weeks later, while hospitalized for a few days due to a cold, Logan’s CT scan took place. The morning of his release, our happiness of being able to take him home again was bombarded with bad news—the CT scan confirmed the doctor’s thoughts—Logan was diagnosed with Sagittal Craniosynostosis.  We discussed in great detail the procedures and what to expect with the nurses and the neurosurgeon.  Surgery was scheduled to take place in March 2013.  Shortly before the scheduled surgery date, the neurosurgeon ordered another CT scan.  The results of this scan showed that Logan’s coronal suture had begun to close as well. Due to this new finding, his surgery was postponed until May 2013.

After all the months of worry, the day of the surgery finally arrived. Although my wife and I had many days of fears/concerns about the outcome of everything, we also had a feeling that everything was going to be just fine. Logan confirmed that for us when we saw him right after surgery (which lasted four hours).  We saw in his face that he fought this battle just as strong as he had been fighting since the day he was born.  We could see that he was ready to be done with the hospital scene and stay home for good.  We had been warned ahead of time there would be swelling and Logan’s eyes might stay shut during recovery—this didn’t happen with our boy—in fact the very next day Logan was all smiles. Three days after surgery Logan was set to be released from the hospital. We took our son home with a bandage on his head and a hair net to cover it for the next ten days.  His incision healed without incident and his hair began to grow in quickly. It has been seven months since his surgery and there have been no complications. Logan is now just like any other happy baby—crawling around, getting into things and bringing joy and love to his parents.